Monday, September 20, 2010

Who am I?

Hello World. I'm Melany. Melany Anne Centeno is my "government" name, but some people call me Mel, or Melly Mel. I don't have any nicknames, though a friend in High School used to call me Goya. ( Lee Rabinowitz- I called him Matzoh) 
Every social media network I am apart of I have under my birth name. Facebook, Twiitter, Gmail (sorry I took down the MySpace- I'm a little too cool for that one). SImple. How I like it. I almost want a "dance name" but knowing myself I'll probably just go by Melany Anne. Call me uncreative. 

Anywhoodles- As I've hinted I am a Dancer. I've very recently decided to make this my career path. Before that I worked in a Lab. Go figure- a mad scientist dancer. But it makes some twisted sense. Science and the Arts are related. Every time you enter a dance class or rehearsal it's like your own science "lab."  You experiment with different forms of movement to have a final product that is useful to the world- in the form of entertainment. This is what I like to call the "feel good stuff" of the world. Without feel good stuff life would be quite boring. If life was boring and you never felt good we'd have a pandemic outbreak of suicide. So let's thank the arts for life, shall we? 

And I digress... Back to the topic at hand. 

I am a New Yorker, born and bred. I am Latina and proud of it. They don't get as Puerto Rican as I am- well at least my friend Bianca thinks so. I am a lover of love and anything that can bring about this feeling in and out of me. Beauty inspires that feeling in me so I am a lover of all things beautiful. I believe that there is beauty in all things living so call me a lover of life. 

At the end of the day I'm just me. Take me as I am. I wear my heart on my sleeve, I look like a B**** (it's the Brooklyn in me), But I am really too nice for my own good.  

I'm starting this blog to chronicle my journey of becoming a Professional Dancer in NYC. This will be my own public journal of sorts. I am also doing it because I love to write, and I recently met someone who has inspired me to write again. 

So there's my intro. Nothing too exciting- yet. Enjoy the blog- I'll keep it interesting. I promise. 

I try to end every day positively so I'll do the same with the blog. Each entry will end with this: 

5 Things I am Thankful For:

1) Chris Hunt- he's the friend that inspired me to write again. 
2) Health- no job = no health insurance in NYC. Thank God for health 
3) True Friends- no explanation necessary 
4) My Unlimited Metrocard- MTA is always going my way 
5) Living- not just LIFE but LIVING in every moment and not looking back

-Me

4 comments:

  1. This is pretty cool.i respect your art as a dancer and i hope you get to level you want to be at

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melany even though I didn't get to know you very well, I always admired your dancing! You are a fabulous dancer and such a nice down to earth person. I wish you the best in all you do in life!!!!! Suerte chica! XOXO Gaby Oliva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, this is awesome and is so u! I can't wait to read more on ur journey.. I wish u nothing but the best LS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very nice Mel..I know you will reach your dreams..I just can't wait to see them come true..Muuuaaahh!! :-)

    ReplyDelete